And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!
- And did those feet, William Blake

tirsdag 16. september 2014

Sunset in Denmark


Mother, give me the sun!
- Ghosts, Henrik Ibsen

To be a Norwegian in Denmark requires a lot of adjustment. It means adjusting to new customs and new ways of doing things, like riding a bike everywhere or being tempted with diabetes because of the country's enormous candy industry. It also means adjusting to a new scenery, especially for a Westerner like myself, born and raised among tall, narrow mountains. Denmark is not mountainous in the least, and for that reason I find it very amusing that "bjerg" is such a widely used toponym, particularly because back home a "berg" (the Norwegian spelling) is a rocky protrusion in the terrain, often of somewhat significant height. In Denmark, however, "bjerg" appears to be used for the summit of a slope or minute elevation in the terrain, a place from which the bike will roll on its own accord if you let it.

The Danish flatness of ground is not a bad thing, it is indeed quite charming, especially with its numerous woods and some beautiful fields. There is also a great benefit about this feature, namely that it brings the sun much closer to the earth, unlike in the Norwegian fjords where the mountains push it away into the void. I discovered the full extent of this yesterday evening as I was riding my bike back home after a long day at university. The sun was about to set, and I was standing at the end of a field which opened the scenery to me. I had never seen the sun so big as it set among a distant row of oaks and chestnut trees. Sadly, I had not brought my camera. Today, however, I decided to rectify this, and the following series of pictures is from my trip back from campus this evening. I've already become very fond of Danish sunsets.












Solen er rød og rund
- Svantes Lykkelige Dag, Poul Dissing




Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar